September 1, 2012

Watch and Learn

I often cringe at commercials I see for t.v. shows marketed to children and tweens today.  Not only do most of them lack substance, but many of them actually seem to promote the sassy, know-it-all attitude I work so hard to try to prevent in my children.  Still, like many other parents, I find I am guilty of occasionally suggesting that the kids "go find something to watch" on t.v. when I am busy.  But, the t.v. doesn't have to be the time wasting bad guy it's made out to be.  Choosing the right program is the key to guilt-free viewing.



There are many quality shows out there, and for more than just pre-schoolers.  Let's start with the obvious...PBS.  I think they probably have the best selection of educational shows.  Yes, many are for younger children, but there also shows for older elementary and even high school students.  Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order).

There are other channels, as well, which have very educational shows.  Qubo has Time Blazers, and The Zula Patrol.  The History Channel periodically runs episodes of GettysburgVietnam in HD, and WWII in HD.  The Discovery Channel has Planet EarthCuriosity, and of course Mythbusters.  With a little research, and the help of a DVR, the right program can be ready to watch whenever you are.  Many shows are also available for online veiwing.  So, go ahead, plop the youngsters down in front of the "boob tube" to watch and learn while you live the good life.

What are your favorite educational tv shows?

Karissa


No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you live the good life?