September 21, 2013

Sadie's Interactive Math Notebook

We've completed our first full unit of math using an interactive math notebook.  So far, my daughter and I are both enjoying math so much more than ever before!  It does take me a little bit of time to decide what kind of printable/foldable I want to use for each lesson and get it prepared, but it is so worth it to me to see her actually enjoying math class.

For those of you who aren't familiar with interactive notebooks, they are a way of taking notes for a subject in a creative way that is both visually appealing and...well...interactive.  I usually try to create some sort of printable that contains some of the information, but leaves a space for her to finish the "notes".  I also try to choose a fun way to present that information such as a foldable, and using fun fonts & colors.  Don't know what a foldable is?  It's easier for me to show you than to tell you, but basically a foldable can be anything that opens or can be manipulated by the student. It can be used to divide information into groups, or to help the information flow from one step to the next.  Graphic organizers and minibooks can also be used to hold information.  Let me show you what I mean...

I printed out a cover and inserted it into an old 3 ring binder.

I printed out title pages for each section of the notebook.  First is the Table of Contents.

Very simply, list either the title of the lesson or the topic, and the page number as you complete each lesson.

Next comes the body of the notebook; the actual lessons.

Place Value

 
Estimating

 
How to add, subtract, multiply, & divide.

 
Properties of Numbers

 
 Order of Operations

 
Place Value of Decimals

Comparing & Ordering Decimals

 
 
Front End Estimation


Operations with Decimals

Powers of Ten

Story Problems: 4 step plan

Story Problems: clue words

That is the end of the first unit.  We will continue on with subsequent units so that her entire year of work will be accessible in this one notebook.

The last section of her notebook is for vocab words.

Here she writes simple definitions or examples of terms she is unfamiliar with.

Wow!  That was a lot of pictures.  I hope I haven't overwhelmed you, or bored you to tears.  Since we have started using an interactive notebook, I'm always looking online to see what other people are putting in theirs.  I decided it would be nice to post pics of what is inside ours so that others can see it.  Do you use an interactive notebook?  How do you use it? What is your favorite foldable or mini book?  

Karissa

5 comments:

  1. This is really amazing. Do you have a printable version that you'd mind sharing? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...yes and no. I saved each of the documents as I created them. However, the power source for the computer on which I saved them died. I plan to retrieve all my files off the hard drive at some point, but don't know when. When I do, I will post them.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, that is NOT awesome. Well, thank you for sharing them as you have. I may just be inspired and create my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graphic organizer charts are a common name given to charts that can illustrate facts, concept, and ideas in a way that can be understood visually. Graphic organizers can also be used to help kids break down math problems into smaller steps. Each printable Math Graphic Organizer Template comes with at least one filled-in example.

    ReplyDelete

How do you live the good life?