February 20, 2013

Mid-week Morsel: Free Spelling Program

I love my children's school.  The courses are full of resources to make learning more interactive and fun...except for the spelling program.  They use Scott Forseman's Reading Street for Language Arts.  The reading and grammar portions of the course are fine, but the spelling portion is very boring and doesn't really explain spelling rules well.  It is simply a list of words to memorize each week.  As a result, I did some searching for alternatives.  Like I said, I love my children's school.  Since their spelling pages are not graded by the teacher, I have the freedom to substitute my own spelling assignments if I wish.  While I found All About Spelling very thorough, I wasn't ready to spend $30 for their interactive kit and $30-$40 per level for the 7 level program.  On the other hand, Spell By Color is free!  It isn't nearly as in-depth, but it does cover the basics well.  If you are looking for something you can use for spelling with your home schooled student, or even to supplement your traditionally schooled student's spelling program, then I highly recommend Spell By Color.

Karissa

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am the creator of Spell By Color.
    I no longer have my old website so I just wanted to update my info: if you are interested in receiving Year One of Spell By Color for free, please email me at discoverSBC@gmail.com
    (Years Two and Three I sell as a combo set for $10 total)
    Thanks 🙂

    ReplyDelete

How do you live the good life?